Blog Image

Ask Charlotte 

Charlotte Allen is our resident blogger, self admitted fashion failure, addict of all things colorful (particularly hair dye), and wannabe home chef. She turns anything she touches into pure fun so leave it to her to pursue an interactive blog about all things insurance, and somehow make it exciting! “Ask Charlotte” gives you a chance to ask those burning insurance questions. If your question is featured in a blog your entire office will receive a delivery of fresh donuts or bagels (your choice). Please click here to submit your questions, no topic is off limits.

  • What Is a Broker of Record Letter?

    A broker of record letter (BOR) is a document a board member or community manager (if applicable) can sign, that identifies one broker as the representative for an insurance policy. Signing a BOR in favor of a broker, gives that broker sole authority over the policy named in the letter. Carriers typically won’t offer insurance quotes to multiple brokers.   Read More...

  • How To Deal with Insurance Recommendations

    Q: Recommendations can be a point of frustration. Sometimes we find ourselves surprised by recommendations after an insurance carrier inspects our properties. Any advice on how to avoid or get through them painlessly?A: When a carrier starts insuring a property, an inspection is typically conducted within the first 90 days of the policy.   Read More...

  • Loss Assessment Coverage and Earthquakes

    Individual homeowners policies, whether HO-3 (single family unit), HO-4 (landlord policy) or HO-6 (residing unit owner in a condominium or townhouse) can provide loss assessment coverage. Loss assessment coverage will pay for an amount of special assessment a unit owner is charged typically due to insufficient or nonexistent insurance coverage for a property loss the association incurs.Be aware, there are different types of loss assessment. If you are assessed for damage resulting from an earthq...  Read More...

  • Recognizing a D&O claim

    When does a threat, complaint or situation become serious enough to warrant a D&O claim? This is by far one of the toughest things to consider as a Board Member or Community Manager. As your broker, we take a very conservative approach.   Read More...

  • Why should an Association purchase a workers compensation policy if they have no payroll or employees?

    Answer: Associations should carry workers compensation even if they do not hire employees. Despite an association’s lack of employees or any direct payroll, the association may still be held liable and deemed an employer in some situations. Several recent court decisions considered homeowners associations’ employers at the time of loss.   Read More...

  • How often should building coverage limits be reviewed?

    Jason Brown of Homeowners Management Company, LLC asks “How often should building coverage limits be reviewed?” Great question. My personal opinion? Annually.   Read More...

  • Why do you always ask for loss run reports?

    Our first question comes from Ann Marquis Fisher with Deer Oaks Association. Ann asks “Why do you always ask for loss run reports?” This is a great question and I imagine something that causes extra work for our clients and may seem unnecessary. Requesting loss history when inheriting brand new business seems logical.   Read More...

RSS Feed



  • 877.317.9300
  • 877.317.9305 Fax

CA Broker License: #0C97535

NV Broker License: #498347

AZ Broker License: #1800015845